Sunday 17 September 2017

Reality Rehab by Lisa Mary London #RealityRehab #BookReview



Faded TV star Gloria Grayson has hit rock bottom. Sacked from her starring role in a top soap, divorced from hell-raising actor 'Mad' Tommy Mack, and obese from binge eating, her days as Britain's sexiest blonde are well and truly over.

Gloria has gained 70 lbs when a paparazzi snaps unflattering photos, and a cruel tabloid article relaunches her career. Instantly, she and her fat, feisty dog Baby-Girl are booked for TV's Reality Rehab. Gloria is locked up with an American psychotherapist, a rabble of D-list celebrities and umpteen cameras, then put on a starvation diet. But worse is to come, with the shock arrival of her alcoholic ex-husband.

Tears and tantrums ensue, as the divorced couple's joint therapy sessions take over the show and ratings soar. The other celebrities are infuriated to be sidelined and Reality Rehab fast becomes The Tommy and Glo Show. But Gloria and Tommy are hiding explosive secrets from each other and 10 million viewers - Reality is stranger than fiction!

Reality Rehab is the debut novel of Lisa Mary London, a journalist and former reality TV producer. A cast of hilarious characters, cliffhangers galore and an authentic voice that could only come from a TV insider, Reality Rehab is this year's must-read!


Reality Rehab by Lisa Mary London was published in paperback on 13 July 2017. My thanks to the author who sent my copy for review.

So, I rarely feature covers like this one on Random Things, and to be honest, when I first saw it, I wasn't keen. However, now I've read the book, I can tell you that the cover is perfect for the story!

Lisa Mary London has drawn from her own experiences when writing Reality Rehab, there's such an air of authenticity in this book, the reader can be really sure that this is not entirely fiction and some of these outrageous characters and incredible situations really can, and do happen. Reality is in the title and I suspect that reality plays a big part in this story.

I am a huge fan of reality TV. I've watched every single series of Big Brother, and Celebrity Big Brother and I'm a huge fan of I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here. These programmes are my de-stressors in a busy, often crazy world. I can totally lose myself in a world that I know that I will never be part of. I can be an armchair critic, I can judge and yes, watching the antics of minor celebrities does make me feel better about myself!

So, to the story. Gloria Grayson and her pampered pooch Baby-Girl spend most of their days eating. Gloria was once an A-List Celeb, starring in a TV soap and married to well known actor Tommy. Inevitably, Gloria's shine faded and her marriage crumbled and her career vanished .... until her agent signed up for the newest celebrity reality show ... Reality Rehab.  And this is where the story really begins, as Gloria enters a house full of well-known, if almost forgotten, famous names. With assorted addiction and lots and lots of issues, this is bound to be an explosive experiment and one that Gloria really isn't prepared for.  When her ex husband Tommy also arrives at the house, things begin to get very interesting!

This is the perfect Sunday afternoon, curled up on the sofa read.  Grab a drink and a packet of chocolate biscuits and dive in. Expect lots of laughter and plenty of satire, but also read about some more serious issues. Experience the power of social media responses and just how far washed up celebrities will go to try to regain their lost success.

Lisa Mary London's Reality Rehab surprised me in so many ways. It was a real delight to read. I laughed and nodded and yes, I judged.  Super stuff and recommended from me.




Lisa Mary London went from chief reporter on a sleepy Cotswold newspaper to become celebrity producer on some of Britain's best-loved TV shows. 



Her TV credits include An Audience with Ken Dodd, A BAFTA Tribute to Julie Walters, The British Comedy Awards and I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here! She's worked with stars from Kirk Douglas to Ant and Dec, and her debut novel Reality Rehab features around 200 famous names. 

'There's never a dull moment when you're working with the stars,' says Lisa. 'One minute you're sipping champagne with Pierce Brosnan, the next you're standing in the Ladies' minding Barbara Windsor's handbag.' 

Reality Rehab is based on her real life, behind-the-screen experiences as a celebrity producer. 'I've met many old school stars like my book's protagonist Gloria, who curse reality TV and think the cast of TOWIE should be stacking shelves at Tesco, not walking the red carpet. 'She's a cross between Diana Dors, Boadicea and Miss Piggy, a glorious, garrulous anti-heroine with bags of fattitude - Gloria puts the real in reality TV!' 

Gloria's petulant pooch Baby-Girl is closely based on the book's cover star, Lisa's beloved Maltese, Dolly-Dog (says Lisa - 'You couldn't make her up'). Dolly-Dog won fame on ITV's Loose Women when she married Sherrie Hewson's Westie Charlie, in a ceremony officiated by John Barrowman (available on YouTube). 
The couple split acrimoniously and are currently fighting for custody of a chew toy. 

A journalist by profession, Lisa has written for the Daily Mail and was briefly a News of the World reporter, but made her excuses and left before anyone was arrested for phone hacking.

Find out more at www.realityrehab.co.uk
Follow her on Twitter @lisamarylondon 






No comments:

Post a Comment